Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Outlook Crashes from Youtube and Google Drive emails

Even though I seem to be the only CS major outside of industry who uses Outlook, I feel like I have to say something about a ridiculous bug related to the fact that Microsoft and Google don't know how to share their toys.

Now, Outlook is an industry standard application. It supports all the standard email formats, and it's got a bundle of cool features besides that. It's more than just an email client. I essentially use it to manage my life, calendar, and contacts.

Google has apparently decided that standard email formats aren't good enough and is now sending emails through its services (Google Docs and YouTube are the ones I've encountered so far) which do something "special." The emails work just fine in web browsers but when opened in Outlook some script or something related to fetching a user's Google avatar causes Outlook to crash.

These videos show the problem and a simple fix:




If you use Google Docs / Google Drive, you'll also have to add docs.google.com to your block list.



I would think that there should be a way you can set up a rule to move these emails to a folder and then set  that folder to display emails in plain text, the way the Junk email folder does, because I don't actually want these emails to be Junk, but this is the only workable solution I have found for now, since it is an incredible waste of my time for my email to crash every so often when I get a new email from one of these services and "open" it by switching to my email tab in Outlook, and finding that the preview pane has tried to display my most recent email, and Outlook has now crashed.

I'm not sure we can expect a patch from Microsoft because they're busy with the next iteration of Office and until this looks like a security hole, it won't be high priority. Google, on the other hand, can cut out the fancy crap and send me the emails I want without all the nonsense scripting garbage.

6 comments:

  1. Six years later this is still hanging up Outlook 2016... :| :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is realy a Nice blog post read on of my blogs It is really helpful article please read it too my blog Outlook keeps crashing problem you can visits our websites or toll free no +1-866-558-4555. solve your problem fastly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking great and it is very helpful content you can read my content here OUTLOOK KEEPS CRASHING PROBLEM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are facing problem for Sbcglobal Password Reset from chrome then visits our website or call us our toll free number +1(866)213-3111
    For more information visit us: http://www.itbalm.com/blog/sbcglobal-password-reset/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate you knowledge if you are need any technical help.Information and knowledge with us so contact us and click those links
    SBCGlobalservices
    Contact us: +1(866)379-1999

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharning information .....
    read more blog Visit us.
    Amazon Alexa not working
    Contact us: +1(866)213-3111

    ReplyDelete