Sunday, September 30, 2012

Week 5 (9/24-9/30) - Cruising Along

For over a week I've been up against deadline followed by deadline. Following the submission of the Collatz lab on Wednesday of Week 3, I had to write an assembler for LC-3 for EE 460N (the ECE Computer Architecture class), which took me all the way until Sunday night, with the project due Monday of Week 4. That Friday, I had a computer graphics project due, which took almost all of the rest of week 4, but I had to also find some time to work on the Voting project, since pair programming isn't exactly something you can cram in at the last minute...

End of week 4, I attended the ACM LAN party right after turning in my graphics project and then got started on the next computer graphics project due Monday. OOP due Wednesday. Graphics due Friday. At least I got a cool 2D Billiards game out of it.

But by Friday's OOP class I had pulled so many nearly-all-nighters (3-3.5 hours of sleep per night), I was exhausted and fell asleep in lecture. I'm glad I wasn't called on. Or at least, I hope I wasn't called on...

Anyway I caught the gist of the lecture, a discussion about the next programming lab. I've written a memory manager in CS 439, and studied an implementation of a memory manager in EE 312, so I'm sure this project won't be too difficult to understand. But I know better than to think that it will be a short project.

With the midterm coming up, I can feel the panic rising. I'm not actually panicking yet, but I feel like I should be. This past Wednesday, I understood everything on the quiz and yet somehow misinterpreted everything, and got 0 right answers. That's at least a good learning experience. For Friday's quiz, I did the reading in what I thought was sufficient detail. Turns out even when you do the reading, if you happen to focus on the wrong details, you're going to get everything on the quiz wrong. So essentially, there goes two more of my dropped quizzes.

Now's when that familiar fear/nerd rage is going to come in handy. Armed with no project deadlines this week, I can actually take some time to study up for all of my midterms. Also, I will take care not to forget about my projects.

I can only hope things work out.

See you all on the other side of the midterm!

No comments:

Post a Comment